Oscar,

The file will not get created anywhere until you successfully start
the daemon. Go to the installation and look for the bin subdirectory
and to to that sudirectory and use the command:
     ./mysqld_safe --user <rootuser> &

If you have your permissions set correctly that should do it. Of course
if you set a password for the rootuser you will have to use --password
<password> before the &. That should start the daemon. My sock actually
appeared in the /tmp but some systems seem to put this file in different
places. I wrested with this for hours on my linux machine before I finally
got it to work. I use SuSE 7.0.

Good Luck.

Cindy

At 01:59 PM 6/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>is not in /etc
>how do I put that soft link?

Cindy Nelson                                        (404) 213-9498 cell
202 Jimmie Nelson Rd SW                    (770) 382-4474 home
Kingston, Ga 30145

  e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://home.earthlink.net/~cindynelson