Hello Jason,

I think you have to ALTER this field, insert what you want and then
ALTER it back.

Another way is to insert the record, detect the value of
auto-increment field it got (there is a function mysql_insert_id /
LAST_INSERT_ID) and update it.

JL> I have a mysql table that has the primary key set to auto-increment. For
JL> very strange reason we have a row with the primary key value of 0. This
JL> is like a default value for the application. I didn't want to do it this
JL> way, but it's too late now.
JL> If the 0 value doesn't exist we have to create it. The problem is that
JL> if I try to INSERT or REPLACE and the 0 value doesn't exist, it inserts
JL> the record with an auto-increment value, not 0.
JL> IS there a way to temporarily turn off Auto-Increment on the table? Just
JL> long enough for me to do my REPLACE and then turn it back on?

Best regards,
Yegor
Yegor Bryukhov, PhD student at GC CUNY
office:       4330