I think increasing memory and giving more memory to MySQL would help.

Nilesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Jared Richardson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 1:48 PM
To: Stefan Hinz; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: mysqld refusing connections while getting sloooow

We've seen very similar behavior when there are very long SQL queries
being
run that are disk intensive.. generally speaking, something is having to
traverse the table (or a temp table) line by line.  If he has any
logging
capability, see long each SQL query is taking to return to his app then
clean up the "bad" ones.

Also, look at faster disks... 7,200 rpm, bigger internal caches (some
disks
have 8 meg!), small raids are inexpensive, and you can put different
tables
on different physical disks to speed access.

Oh yeah, with MySql, you can put all the temp tables on a different
disk.
We found this to make an amazing difference!

Also, a P4 or an Athlon system is a great deal faster than your friend's
system... the faster bus speeds on those architectures will again make a
huge difference.  We buy dual Athlons with a gig of ram for about 2
thousand
dollars.