Hi all,

I have a serious problem.
I have a production system just launch using MySQL.
auto increment field is used in the system by ASP, Visual Basic and C.
System is using AIX 4.3.3, MySQL 3.23.49
gcc 2.9  source code compiled MySQL

There are some C compiled process using auto increment field contained
tables
in which I used them as sequence, this way:
Create table:
create table my_num (id int not null auto_increment, primary key (id));
Insert table:
insert into my_num values (null);
Select table:
select last_insert_id(); for ASP and VB
or
call mysql_insert_id() for C program

then I got a sequence number.

but unfortunately, after some time of running, I found the sequence
increase by itself......
and the table gradually became very large.

I though there must be a bug in my application.
then I stopped all the applications including C processes and ASP.
but the sequences keep on increasing.

If the database is shutdown and start again, the tables back to normal
for some time...
it is unaffordable to repeatedly restart the system from time to time
and it is sure that the sequence number will run out of stock soon.

I still don't know how this error happened, but it just happened.
Do anyone encountered similar problem before?
now, some experiement is being performed on another machine
to repeat the problem.

please help

Borus