From: software
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [50 character or so descriptive subject here (for reference)]
Having trouble with setting a password for the MYSQL root user
         <precise description of the problem (multiple lines)>
         i started from source code and compiled, made, and installed
mySQL 4.0 correctly.  I then ran mysql_install_db.  It also ran
correctly (to the \
best of my knowledge).  I then attempted to change the password as
instructed for the root user, but encountered the error:
Enter password:
/usr/local/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

I then attempted to start mysqld_safe from /usr/local/bin, and got
the following:
localhost:/usr/local] ridge% ./bin/mysqld_safe
touch: /usr/local/var/localhost.err: Permission denied
chown: mysql: invalid user name
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/var
./bin/mysqld_safe: permission denied: /usr/local/var/localhost.err [267]
rm: /usr/local/var/localhost.pid: Permission denied
./bin/mysqld_safe: permission denied: /usr/local/var/localhost.err [273]
tee: /usr/local/var/localhost.err: Permission denied
020612 12:17:07  mysqld ended
tee: /usr/local/var/localhost.err: Permission denied

So i tried to do it again, only this time as the root user of my
system, and recieved similar errors (although not as many of them):
[localhost:/usr/local] ridge% sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe
Password:
chown: mysql: invalid user name
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/var
020612 12:18:13  mysqld ended

I have tried to be as detailed as possible, i hope that all of this
is not too much mess for you...
I am rather new to the MAC OS X enviornment, and to UNIX in general,
so you might have to speak slowly and use small words so that I'll be
sure to unde\
rstand... sorry.
>How-To-Repeat:
         <code/input/activities to reproduce the problem (multiple lines)>
         All it takes to reproduce the problem is to run mysqladmin -u
root ...  command.
>Fix:
         <how to correct or work around the problem, if known (multiple lines)>

>Submitter-Id:  <submitter ID>
>Originator:
>Category:      mysql
>Class:         <[ sw-bug | doc-bug | change-request | support ] (one
>line)>support
>Release:       mysql-4.0.1-alpha (Source distribution)

>Environment:
         <machine, os, target, libraries (multiple lines)>?
System: Darwin localhost 5.2.2 Darwin Kernel Version 5.2.2: Wed Dec
12 16:57:11 PST 2001; root:xnu/xnu-201.15.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power
Macintosh powerp\

Some paths:  /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/make /usr/bin/cc

Compilation info: CC='cc'  CFLAGS=''  CXX='c++'  CXXFLAGS=''  LDFLAGS=''
LIBC:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  15 Jun 11 17:20 /usr/lib/libc.dylib ->
libSystem.dylib
Configure command: ./configure