This may not be entirely a database question, but it certainly involves
MySQL databases.

BACKGROUND:
I'm working with a small business that hosts their own web site for order
taking/managing orders via internet.  It only consists of one DSL line, one
web server (apache/bind/tomcat) and one database server (MySQL).  There is
no backup or redundancy....so if DSL or power goes down, so does the site.
This has been an "accepted risk" by the company.

I would like to propose a backup system, but am hung up on one issue.  If I
were serving static pages, I would see no problem with putting a web server
at another location (location_2) on a different DSL carrier.  But with a
database involved, that throws a twist in it.  If I put at location_2 a web
server and database server, I could code to keep the databases synched up
while both DSL lines are up.  And if one location goes down, certainly the
other location could take over (I would "accept" losing open sessions on
downed server).

My question is though, what happens when the downed loaction comes back up?
My databases will be out of synch.  Even if I ran only one database which
was reached by both locations, if the location with the database goes down,
it all goes down.

QUESTION:
So my question is, how do other shops keep things synched up?  I can
understand in a big company, they likely have multiple servers/internet
pipes, and when one line/server goes down, the other servers talk across the
LAN.  In my case though, location _2 could be a few miles, if not 100 miles
away....to be potentially connected only by DSL.

Is this more of a networking question?  Or is this potentially solved by an
app server synching things when the downed location is back up?  I can't see
multiple DSL lines into each location working, because a power outage (which
has happened, by the way) would break the system.  Does anyone want to offer
up a scenario or two of what they have used/seen?

Thanks for any advice.
Rob Mazur