Hi.

I have a MySQL-server running Innodb. We have installed ~ 1.7GB of
memory in the server. In spite of this MySQL keeps crashing due to
out-of-memory errors. The server is a dual i686 running kernel Linux
2.4.18 (no patches - 4GB RAM supported).

I've enabled overcommit_memory (/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory). When
the system is crashing memory may look a bit like this:
~# free -m
Mem:          1761       1748         12          0         11        926
-/+ buffers/cache:        810        951
Swap:         2059          6       2052

The message is:
020613 17:06:31  InnoDB: Out of memory in additional memory pool.
InnoDB: InnoDB will start allocating memory from the OS.
InnoDB: You may get better performance if you configure a bigger
InnoDB: value in the MySQL my.cnf file for
InnoDB: innodb_additional_mem_pool_size.
InnoDB: Fatal error: cannot allocate 1529313000 bytes of
InnoDB: memory with malloc! Total allocated memory
InnoDB: by InnoDB 1455520263 bytes. Operating system errno: 12
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation!
InnoDB: Check if you should increase the swap file or
InnoDB: ulimits of your operating system.
InnoDB: On FreeBSD check you have compiled the OS with
InnoDB: a big enough maximum process size.

Any clues?

--
Per Andreas Buer