Hello there,

I have a problem that I need some help with.  I am trying to insert binary
data into a mysql database and simply retrieve it.  each time I retrieve the
data, it is corrupt.  What am I doing wrong?

I am running mysql 3.23.41 on Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma) Kernel
2.4.7-10 on an i686.

My table is defined as:

CREATE TABLE TEST(ID TINYINT(3),DATA LONGBLOB);

To insert data into the table I am using:

INSERT INTO TEST VALUES(1,LOAD_FILE('/tmp/test.gif'));

The data has been added.  I then retrieve the data like so:

select data from test where id=1 into outfile "/tmp/test2.gif";

The returned file is no longer recognised as an image file by a web browser
(Netscape).  I have tried the same exercise with .mp3 files and have had the
same problem.  The files have the same size and do contain data but they are
corrupt and cannot be read by the program that would read them.

I also tried the same using a text file so that I could see what the
difference was between the "before" and "after" inserting into mysql.  See
links below for "before" and "after" examples of text file and gif image.

Gif image...
http://www.toffeedog.com/personal/mysqlprob/before.gif
http://www.toffeedog.com/personal/mysqlprob/after.gif

Text file...