Hi,

I  will appreciate for any suggesstion on best plan...

I am working on  setting up  a production environment  with  mirrored
servers working on  redhat 7.2. To balance the load,  each servers
have its own primary applications but  all of them are mirrored.
 When the Ist server fails the  floating alias name is tranferred
to the second  server manually.  2nd server then  inherits  the
application  running on 1st server. So when failover happeneds the
2nd server should run  all the applications. When first server comes
back on line ist servers applications are transferred to 1st server back.

One of the application is using PHP and MYSQl. I have replicated
 databases using MYSQL replication such a way that Ist server contains
master and 2nd server contains slave. This part is working properly.
My question is regarding effect on MYSQL database on failover.

I have to design the stratergy for failover.  My intention is to
keep least work during failover so that people who deal with failover
do not need to  bothered about  database stuff.

 I can think about two options. When failover happeneds :

1. Make 2nd server database master, so that when 1st server comes
on line  it will start as slave and  update databases. Then I can
switch back Ist server to master again like before failover. (Or
may be does mysql  slave update master... or  I can force updation of master again...)

2.  Take a back up of 2nd server database and update ist server
database when it comes on line again.  Which is error prone..

I am just wondering is there any better plan .... How you guys are doing this...?
Any input is appreciated...

Regards