On Monday, June 17, 2002, at 05:44  PM, Galen Wright-Watson wrote:

> Another option is to SELECT INTO a temporary table (or CREATE
> TEMPORARY ...
> SELECT), then query the temporary table for the total_hits.

Would the overhead of generating a temporary table for this query be
worthwhile?  I'm wondering, since the query will be executed by a PHP
script (which of course has a number of other queries that execute along
with it).  Or would just having a query that strictly returns a COUNT of
results, then a separate query returning the actual results (but
constrained by LIMIT) be more resource-efficient... I wonder.

> The reference to table1.total_hits is correct only if table1 has a
> column
> called total_hits.  You don't need to (and can't) prefix a column alias
> by a
> table name (I think; a few small experiments seemed to confirm this).

This is useful knowledge, I somehow thought that aliased result columns
could be treated like regular columns.

> I just thought of another possibility if all you want is the number of
> matching rows.  If you're using an SQL client, it should report the
> number
> of rows returned.  If you're using an API to talk to the server, there
> should
> be a function to get the number of rows in a query result (e.g.
> mysql_num_rows() in the C and PHP APIs).

This would be perfect except that it seems that my LIMIT clause (which
helps keep the number of results that are handed to the PHP script and
turned into HTML low) would yield the LIMITed number of rows, whereas
I'm trying to determine how many rows would be returned if I had not
used LIMIT (the "total hits" part of "displaying X through X of X total
hits").

Thanks for the pointers, Galen.

Erik

PS: to any who respond to this thread, please CC me as I have
temporarily unsubbed the list.

----

Erik Price
Web Developer Temp