Lo all,

I don't know if this can be reproduced, whether it's just general coding
errors, or whether it's simply a Windows thing.... But I do my development
on a NT 4.0 system, and I've been starting to notice rather weird things....

I use various languages (Perl, PHP, Delphi, C, etc), all of which access a
single database (various tables) on my MySQL server (3.23.49-max).  The
database currently holds about 60 odd tables, with a total of over 2 million
records. A additional table I use for testing, has one table with over 23
million records in it (255x255x255x255 records).

My PHP code also use persistent connections, and I don't think this is the
problem, but basically, how more queries I throw at MySQL how more my PC
crawls down to a halt - even after the application with the queries
disconnected from the database.  I can understand that my system may take
some sever stress when I work with a table with 23 million odd records in
it, but why would my system still remain in a state of slowness?  At any
time, I normally don't have more than 15 concurrent connections to MySQL,
and most of them are normally in a idle state in any case.

I am 100% sure it is MySQL that is slowing my system down.  When things
start to become really irritating (i.e. I wait like over 5 seconds for my
start menu to show up), I simply stop and restart the MySQL server, and all
of a sudden, my system is fine again.  I'll need to track the cause of this
before I can use all my sites and data in any live environment first... But
I don't have a *clue* where to start looking....

Can anyone perhaps give me some insight or advice on this rather weird
behaviour??

--
me