Hello, MySQLman!

I've got a question.

I've installed standart MySQL binaries which are compiled with
--with-extra-charsets=complex.

The fact that I speak Russian means necessity for using --default-character-set
koi8_ru (I need it for "order by" construction).

I've red chapter in MySQL manual called "4.6.1 The Character Set Used for Data and
Sorting" and I've made an attempt to reconfigure special mysql files for setting
koi8_ru as a --default-character-set without recompiling or compiling it but I
failed...

Checking all the paths, I edited /etc/my.cnf in such a way

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib
character-sets-dir=/usr/share/mysql/charsets
default-character-set=koi8_ru

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

But it had no result... The sorting order was not changed.

There is a koi8_ru.conf in /usr/share/mysql/charsets

What to do?
Compile with "./configure --with-charset=koi8_ru" line?
Anything else?