Hi David,

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 03:59:33AM -0400, david wrote:
> Well i seem to have gotten MySql working but i can't seem to use mysqladmin:
> to do anything. When i start MySql with the following:
>
> [root@RR davidwri]# safe_mysqld -u root
> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
>

> it will sit indefinitely as above, is this correct?

Yes. You probably want to add an & to the end so it runs in the
background. This is all standard shell functionality. Or even run
it in its own subshell:

[root@RR davidwri]# (safe_mysqld -u root &)

> If i try to add:
> mysql -u root -p mysql
>
> It still just sits,...

That's right. You didn't get your prompt back as you wrote earlier.

> [root@RR davidwri]# mysqladmin version
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

You tell the mysql client to not use a password and root needs a
password. So the MySQL daemon won't allow you to log in like this.

> I did Set the password, based on the following syntax example (with my value,
> obviously):
> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('secret_password');
>
> So if i cntrl-z:
>
> [1]+  Stopped                 safe_mysqld -u root
>
> then try:
> [root@RR davidwri]# mysql -u root
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)

Like before.

> [root@RR davidwri]# mysql -u root -p mysql
> Enter password:
> Reading table information for completion of table and column names
> You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A
>
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 3.23.32
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer
>
> mysql>

Correct. You told the mysql client to ask you for a password.

> I have never set up and administered MySql myself, so i don't know exactly
> what to expect but this is definitely not right. thanks for all your help

Nothing unexpected so far.

Regards,

Fred.

--
Fred van Engen                              XO Communications B.V.
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             Televisieweg 2