I wrote earlier:

 >select b.id, a.aid, a.wid, a.start, a.length
 >        into outfile 'newindex.txt'
 >        from wordindex a, wordforms b
 >        where a.wordform = b.wordform
 >        order by b.id, a.id, a.wid, a.start;

I've actually sat down and tried this at the mysql command line.
Problem was, I started it at about 11pm last night and it's 1:20pm
today.  Not only is it still sitting there, but it hasn't written a
single thing out yet (if I look at the outfile, it's there, but 0
length).

For an idea of how large the file is, when the above command is
done without the order by restrictions, I get a file of
the form

551772  1       1       44      6
877857  1       1       52      11
703278  1       1       65      4
563277  1       1       71      5
806092  1       1       78      8
863071  1       1       88      3
956338  1       1       93      8
(etc)

that output takes about three - four hours to create, and its finished
size is

-rw-r--r--   1 ctmoore  staff    1831793634 Jun 22 22:29 newindex.b.txt

Is mysql unable to handle something this large when it has to sort as
well?  Or are there some whizbit things I can do to fine tune this?

Thanks,
--Cindy