I am comparing songnames from two tables to find a match.
My query looks like this:

$querymvideo = "select movietable.id, movietable.songname
from movietable where TRIM(movietable.songname) LIKE
'__$foo' ";

The above query works fine except when a songname has the
single quote symbol: "'" or maybe it is the comma in the
song.

Example song:
I'll See the Light, Tonight

This gives an error:

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result
resource in /testing/dirlisting4e.php on line 208
MySQL error 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax
near 'll See the Light, Tonight' ' at line 1........

How to escape or ignore the single quote: "'" in a
variable. Can I use the escape clause somehow in my query:
ESCAPE ''';

I am using PHP and MySQL