Bert,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bert VdB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 11:09 AM
Subject: RE: Re-do logging feature with InnoDB: is it possible ?

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a small question regarding to the Mysql-InnoDB-tables :
>
> "Is it possible to use an Oracle-like 're-do logging' feature with InnoDB"
?

> This means more or less taking regular consistent backups of your
database,
> and then in case of corruption, you restore the latest consistent
> database-backup and
> tell the server to re-apply the logs for a certain time-span.

you must use the 'binlog' of MySQL to do this. Add

[mysqld]
log-bin

to my.cnf. To do the roll-forward from a backup you can use the mysqlbinlog
program to pipe in the SQL statements in the binlog files:

mysqlbinlog --position=766567578 yourhostname-bin.123 | mysql

InnoDB Hot Backup (a non-free program) uses the redo log files of InnoDB
(the ib_logfile files) in a similar fashion to construct a consistent backup
of a running database. But to do the roll-forward from the backup you use
the MySQL binlog files.

> I haven't found any information on this feature for InnoDB, but I still
> would like to consult you guys
> before passing a definitive NO CAN DO to the managament of the project
here
> :)
>

> Tnx for you input and time,
> CB.

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
InnoDB - transactions, hot backup, and foreign key support for MySQL
See http://www.innodb.com, download MySQL-Max from http://www.mysql.com