Synopsis:  When installing on Win 98, using the InstallShield installer
provided,
the installation of MySQL hangs and the GUI freezes.  This turned out to be
an interaction
with another program (RealPlayer and AOL).  Removing RealPlayer let
us proceed with the install.

I'm sending this to the list, in the hope of helping someone who might hit
the same problem.

Resolution:  When we tried to reboot, there was a program not responding.
When we said to exit same, the MySQL install screen started to come up while
the system was shutting down.  We killed that and rebooted.  Then, we tried
the install again.  When hung, we went to the task manager (click on empty
space on desktop, then ctrl-alt-delete)--RealPlayer was shown as not
responding.  We killed that task, and the MySQL install started to proceed
during the Windows shutdown.
We then uninstalled RealPlayer and rebooted.  We can now run the install.

When we dialed the Internet, using the AOL software, AOL complained that
there were missing files--seems it wanted RealPlayer to play some music.
Well, it seems the computer really belongs to his 15-year-old daughter, and
she likes to play music while she studies...  Anyway, we told the AOL
software to forget about the music.

There is still a problem with the MyODBC install.  When doing the ODBC
setup,
after we passed through all of the ODBC
setup screens, the ODBC setup program crashed with an invalid instruction;
the message Window included something about the "installer BOOTSTRP."  I
don't
know if this is related to the other problem--but the machine seems to be a
bit
messed up.

I would conjecture that the install would have worked (except, perhaps, for
the ODBC) if we had tried the install in safe mode.

Bill Easton