I run a MySQL/PHP-based website. In an attempt to make some search
functionality, I search a few specific tables that I find relevant and look
in certain fields when performing a search. A query will generally look
something like this:

SELECT * FROM Books WHERE LongName LIKE '%$kw%' OR ShortName LIKE '%$kw%'

When searching through multiple table groups (i.e. Books, Tapes,
Furniture....(bogus examples)), search results are simply grouped using php
and presented in the sequence they were found.

I dont find this to perform adequately as the site grows, especially since I
have not been able to implement any response relevance measure with this
scheme. I have heard this could be accomplished using some temporary tables
with MySQL....does any body know more about this?
I will also appreciate responses with suggestions for good search schemes,
particulary good resources on the subject (preferrably available on the web)
or any other tips and ideas.

Best regards,

                    Eivind

PS. thanks for a sometimes very interesting list! ;-)