I got problem on my machine running with mysql 3.23.51, some field use
 varchar
 (40) if query from this field mysql got hanging

 Trying to get some variables.
 Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to abort...
 thd-query at 0x82c3318 = SELECT * FROM `COURSE` ORDER BY
 `SUBJNAME` ASC LIMIT 0, 30
 thd-thread_id=11

 if use same query mysql has hang everytime.I change this field to vacarh(60)
 not
 found problem anymore or TINITEXT and etc if length more than 40 char.
 I test on mysql 3.23.4x -- 3.23.51 got hang every version but test on mysql
 4.0 not
 found problem any more