From: Jeremy Cole [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 8:42 PM
To: Sam Taylor
Subject: Re: Increasing number of open_files

Hi Sam,

> I'm running a Java (JSP/Servlets/mmJDBC) web application that is using
> MySQL, and over the course of a few days I see the number of open files
> increasing... after 4 days of usage the number was at 17,000+.  What is
> typical for MySQL?  What are other people seeing for "open_files"?

This sounds like you have misunderstood the variable ``table_cache'' and
set it way too high.  The ``table_cache'' variable is a number of tables,
not bytes or kilobytes or anything else.  What have you set it's value to?
By default it's 64, and most people need not raise it higher than perhaps
1024 or 2048.

Regards,

Jeremy

--