Hi,
the latest version of mysql supports ssl connections.

'phpMyAdmin' is a browser based gui written in php. If your apache has
mod_ssl then you could connect securely.
http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpMyAdmin/

Alternatively, you could also use something like  'mysqlgui' and set up
ssh port forwarding.

I would like to offer hyperlinks but i cannot fot the life of me get
onto the mysql web site at the moment!

cheers
Rich