Hello All,

I'm using mysql version 3.23.47 as a database in an embedded device.  In
the startup scripts for the database I have it run :

myisamchk -o -s /usr/local/var/data/*/*.MYI
(to fix any possible problems)

with safe_mysqld --datadir=/usr/local/var/data &
(to start the database)

On one occasion, during testing I came across an issue where if I
poweroff the machine while the database is starting it seems to DELETE
many of the MYD files, including host.MYD, user.MYD, along with data MYD
files.  Of course this makes the database dead.  Its not clear to me if
its the myisamchk, safe_mysqld, or something else that is actually
killing these files.  I'm not concerned with retrieving this data, but I
do want to find exactly what, and why this is happening and implement a
fix.  I should note that I am able to re-create the problem if the
timing is correct.

A possible low tech solution will include copying the MYD files (most of
my data is stored in innodb and was not harmed) before starting the
database and restoring them from the backup if they are missing.  Of
course, I would prefer a more proper solution.

I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else has had this problem and what
version you're using, even if a solution hasn't been found.

Thanks,

Eric Mayers
Software Engineer
Captus Networks