Okay, here is a possible solution, you will have to
try it to see if it is successful. It is based on the
fact that a table can be joined to itself.

select b.book_title,ba.publisher_code AS Author,
       bb.publisher_code AS Publisher

from   books b, basic_data ba, basic_data bb

where b.author_code = ba.description
and   b.author_code = bb.description;

Regards,
Michael

> I hope this helps you to better understand my
> problem.
> If I could touch the database I would split
> BASIC_DATA into two different tables AUTHORS and
> PUBLISHERS. But I cannot touch the DB structure.
>
> Gigi

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>