I got a problem with the Installation in LINUX, too.

   I download the MySQL 4.0.1Server (i386) (7M) in
http://www.mysql.com/
 and use root access to install mysql database with the command:
      shell => rpm -i MySQL-4.0.1-2.i386.rpm
   And I saw the message:

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
This is done with:
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h piii700 password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

   Then I try to change the root password to mySQL database with the
mysqladmin, and magically, there is NO mysqladmin program at the
/usr/bin/ directory

  I try to use the shell => mysql to see whether mysql command works
but.... unexpectly, "bash: mysql: command not found" message was return
back.

  Please advice me what I need to do. I am using Red Hat Linux version
7.3

         Son Nguyen