I was able to login and generate a database instance, but then got a little
crazy and tried to automate the starting and stopping of the mysql service.
I copied the mysql.server file to my /etc/init.d directory and then created
the necessary links to the rc0.d and rc3.d directories.  When I rebooted the
mysql were not started, plus when I tried to manually start the services,
trying both mysqld and mysql.server, I get an unable to located the mysql
socket file.  Can anyone explain to my what Im doing wrong here?  Even
though I didnt setup the automation piece correctly shouldnt I still be able
to start the service manually?  Also what is the difference between mysqld
and mysql.server? Are they the same?  Within the my.cnf I noticed the user
assignment is equal to mysql, currently Im logging in as root, could the
problem be that I need to generate a user called mysql?  Sorry for the 20
questions, just trying help someone help me trouble shoot!

Thanks much,

DK

PS Im running Redhat 7.2