I posted a couple of days ago on what appears to be a bug in
drop database of mysql-max-4.0.1-2.  Here is a recipe to
see if others are seeing the same problem.

This is on Red Hat Linux 7.2 and is extremely repeatable
nor is it limited to a single linux box (ie. not likely
hardware problem).

When drop database is called in a loop it will eventually cause
a hang and most commands will fail thereafter. (except stuff
like show variables, show processlist)

show processlist shows drop database sitting around waiting for
something that never comes :)  The server is pretty much dead
in the water at this point since nothing else is processed
as far as selects, updates etc.

While composing this email I've discovered that adding
a "flush tables" command immediately before the drop database
seems to solve the problem.  While that is a workaround it
would be nice to solve the underlying problem :)

I've included test.sql and rundeath.csh to help replicate
the problem.

contents of rundeath.csh
--------------------
#!/bin/csh