Does anyone know if these instructions actually work?
(they didn't for me)
http://cerebus.sandiego.edu/~jerry/UnixTips/mysql.html

I'd like to fix them up so I and others never have to seek this out again,
tall order?

Who can help me?
after I followed these the server didn't start.

I had to use the --force option to install the default dbases.
I will say that my particular problem may be due to my lack setting my host
name correctly.  I have very recently installed OS X Server (10.1.4) just so
I could try this on a clean system.  I don't understand too much about host
names, here's what I do know: I have host names that I get from dynydns.org,
e.g., mbase.dyndns.org.  the Domain Name Servers in my Network settings are
pointed to my provider's DNS numbers.  I have many of these host and I know
which one the main one is. This setup works great and I have had MySQL
running on this before and similarly on OS X client.

I simply want to to use/enable the MySQL that comes with OS X Server.  I
have written Apple about exactly the same.

Thanks
Lloyd