Hmm, this all sounds indeed like a terrific feature .. if it would work !
So, I decided to try it and just see what'll happen. I did the following
things:

* first I created a table:

mysql> create table autoIncrement (
    ->  id int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
    ->  thingie varchar(20) NOT NULL,
    ->  primary key(id, thingie)
    -> );
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.28 sec)

* inserted some values:

mysql> insert into autoIncrement (thingie) VALUES ("bla"),
    -> ("boe"),
    -> ("boer"),
    -> ("en"),
    -> ("joy");
Query OK, 5 rows affected (0.24 sec)
Records: 5  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

did a select:

mysql> select * from autoIncrement;
+----+---------+
| id | thingie |
+----+---------+
|  1 | bla     |
|  2 | boe     |
|  3 | boer    |
|  4 | en      |
|  5 | joy     |
+----+---------+
5 rows in set (0.04 sec)

Nothing seen from a counter for each value of thingie. I decided to insert a
value for thingie wich already existed, and to repeat the select:

mysql> insert into autoIncrement (thingie) values ("bla");
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from autoIncrement;
+----+---------+
| id | thingie |
+----+---------+
|  1 | bla     |
|  2 | boe     |
|  3 | boer    |
|  4 | en      |
|  5 | joy     |
|  6 | bla     |
+----+---------+
6 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Again, no incrementing per value for the second element of the primary key.

Can you please tell me, Matthew, how did you do it? It sounds too good to be
true and so it seems to be, or isn't it?

Greetz,
Wouter

Alle door mij verzonden email is careware. Dit houdt in dat het alleen
herlezen en bewaard mag worden als je goed omgaat met al het leven op aarde
en daar buiten. Als je het hier niet mee eens bent dien je mijn mailtje
binnen 24 uur terug te sturen, met opgaaf van reden van onenigheid.

All email sent by me is careware. This means that it can only be reread and
kept if you are good for all the life here on earth and beyond. If you don't
agree to these terms, you should return this email in no more than 24 hours
stating the reason of disagreement.