Karl,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""karl "" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2002 7:41 AM
Subject: Updates

> Hello,
> This is similar to my post earlier...(I'm really racking my brains over
this).
> I'm going to try and rephrase (shorten) my question:
>
> I've created a database that multiple users can search from.  The results
that USER1 returns must be unique even if USER2 uses the exact same lookup.
So, I'm trying to put a "HOLD" on a record(s) that each USER is looking at,
I'm trying to use TABLEB for indicating whos looking at what (who has a hold
on certain records).

> I'm really hoping there is an efficient SQL approach to this, I'm trying
to avoid using script to step painlessly through the tables record for
record to apply HOLDS on records.

if you use InnoDB type tables, you can do you searches inside a transaction
(wrap the transaction in BEGIN ... COMMIT) with:

SELECT ... FOR UPDATE

That sets exclusive row level locks on each index record the SELECT looks
at. You may want to tune

innodb_lock_wait_timeout

in my.cnf if the transactions last long.

> Any good ideas?
>
> Karl

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
InnoDB - transactions, row level locking, and foreign key support for MySQL
See http://www.innodb.com, download MySQL-Max from http://www.mysql.com