I've read the Adding New Users Section and the initial and post setup
section of the manual, but I still need some clarification:

After an install and a working MySQL I see it like this (Mac OS XS):
there are 3 users:
mysql - created manually after installing MySQL and has a password
root - a mysql root user whose password has been set
me - myself, using my machine

(I have also run chown on mysql to user mysql.)

What privileges need to be set and at what levels?

(I plan on using phpMyAdmin as well, if that makes a difference.)

Thanks,
Lloyd