Hi,

If you mean the concept (in Oracle) where an instance is effectively one
database, the architectures differ a whole lot. Whereas Oracle, as I said,
creates an instance for each database it's running, MySQL can handle
several databases within one server process instance.

The concept of data files is different, too. In Oracle you can define
tablespaces that can span one or more datafiles. Then you create your
tables into those tablespaces (-->data files). MySQL, by default, creates
three files per table: [tblname].MYI (indices built on the table),
[tblname].MYD (the actual data -> this is often the biggest file in a
physical table representation), and [tblname].frm within which lies the
definition (column names, data types etc.) of the table.

MySQL doesn't have real control files like Oracle, it uses my.cnf instead
to supply some values to the server that can't be specified runtime. You
can, however, control the behaviour of the mysqld(-nt).exe by using some
of the command-line startup parameters, if you like.

Hope this helps! :-)

Regards,
Iikka

* Iikka Meriläinen                       *
* IT Support                             *
* Vaalan kunta                           *
* E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] *