Hello Alexander,

You can easily have two or more instances (mysqld processes) of
MySQL running on the physically same server as long as they have different
data directories. You possibly could, in theory, have a system where
several mysqld processess share the same data directory (still having
different databases) but this approach is _extremely_ tricky to get working
reliably.

About the need of several server instances, you could use another MySQL
for production use (possibly with the normal port, stable table handlers
etc.), meanwhile having another instance for development use, running on a
different port. The good point of this approach is that if the
"development" instance crashes due to some strange experiment (as mine
sometimes does :-), it won't affect the production instance in any way. Of
course, you should try to separate your production and development
environments, but it's not always affordable.

Regards,
Iikka

* Iikka Meriläinen                       *
* IT Support                             *
* Vaalan kunta                           *
* E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] *