Hi.. I recently built MySQL 3.23.51 on two different AIX 4.3 boxes using
the VisualAge C/C++ compiler 5 only to find that that MySQL daemon is
unable to properly start itself.. Below is the excerpt from the "err"
file.. I waited until it was done with writing out the large InnoDB
log/data files.  I even tried connecting GDB to the mysqld process, but it
was unable to do so (it just hung).  I finally had to "kill -9" it (kill by
itself didn't work).  Now, I find that if I startup with "--skip-innodb"
set when I run the safe_mysqld script, that MySQL starts up fine..

Just for reference, here's the CC/CPP environment variables I used with
configure :

CC=xlc_r -ma -O3 -qstrict -qoptimize=3 -qmaxmem=10240
CXX=xlC_r -ma -O3 -qstrict -qoptimize=3 -qmaxmem=10240
CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
LDLFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
CXXFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include

./configure --prefix=/opt/mysql --enable-thread-safe-client
--enable-large-files --with-innodb

along with the changes as discussed in the below archived message from late
last year :

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=9s779b%24o9a%241%40FreeBSD.csie.
NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=4

% more var/xena.err
020718 11:46:23  mysqld started
InnoDB: The first specified data file /opt/mysql/var/test/test did not
exist:
InnoDB: a new database to be created!
020718 11:46:26  InnoDB: Setting file /opt/mysql/var/test/test size to 1000
MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
020718 11:47:59  InnoDB: Log file /opt/mysql/logs/ib_logfile0 did not
exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file /opt/mysql/logs/ib_logfile0 size to 16 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
020718 11:48:01  InnoDB: Log file /opt/mysql/logs/ib_logfile1 did not
exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file /opt/mysql/logs/ib_logfile1 size to 16 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
020718 11:55:01  mysqld ended

I ONLY got the "mysqld ended" line AFTER I kill -9'd it.  I checked that it
properly created all of the log files, etc.. Any ideas?

% ls -la var/test
total 1024008
drwx------    2 mysql    dba           512 Jul 18 11:46 .
drwx------    4 mysql    dba           512 Jul 18 11:55 ..
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    dba      1048576000 Jul 18 11:47 test

% ls -la logs/
total 32776
drwxrwxr-x    2 mysql    dba           512 Jul 18 11:48 .
drwxrwxr-x   13 mysql    dba           512 Jul 18 11:46 ..
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    dba      16777216 Jul 18 11:48 ib_logfile0
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    dba      16777216 Jul 18 11:48 ib_logfile1

# This is for large system with memory = 512M where the system runs mainly
# MySQL.
#
# You can copy this file to
# /etc/mf.cnf to set global options,
# mysql-data-dir/my.cnf to set server-specific options (in this
# installation this directory is /opt/mysql/var) or
# ~/.my.cnf to set user-specific options.
#
# One can in this file use all long options that the program supports.
# If you want to know which options a program support, run the program
# with --help option.

# The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
[client]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock

# Here follows entries for some specific programs

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
ansi
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock

# Uncomment the following if you are using Innobase tables
innodb_data_home_dir = /opt/mysql/var/test
innodb_data_file_path = test:1000M
innodb_log_group_home_dir = /opt/mysql/logs/
innodb_log_arch_dir = /opt/mysql/logs/
innodb_log_archive=0
set-variable = innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1
set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=2
#                                  Set the log file size to about
#                                  15 % of the buffer pool size
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=16M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
#                                  Set ..flush_log_at_trx_commit to
#                                  0 if you can afford losing
#                                  a few last transactions
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=32M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=32M
set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=2
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash

[isamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=128M