Edward,
Monday, July 22, 2002, 4:46:07 PM, you wrote:

>> >    After issuing an incorrect GRANT command Mysqld crashed, but
>> >    restarted itself. On the next boot-up of the machine, Mysqld
>> >    crashes on startup with an added message about unable to find
>> >    user.MYD Copying user.MYD from a backup directory changed the
>> >    message to user.FRM but still crashes.
>> >

>> Problem is that tables contain of more than just one file, recover
>> user.* from your backup (the extensions might vary depending on the
>> table type)

EvdJ> I realized that later. I probably shouldn't have included that in my
EvdJ> report.
EvdJ> The point I was trying to make was that Mysql complained about not
EvdJ> finding a file which did exist, with the right permissions, etc.
EvdJ> This, together with the other things, says to me that the user-grant
EvdJ> table had been corrupted by my incorrect GRANT command.

I tested your example on 3.23.51 and 4.0.2 and got only syntax error.

In your previous post there were a mention about error "Ignoring user"
Look at:
      http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/g/Ignoring_user.html

As to your crashed tables, you can restore them from backup or you can
re-create them using mysql_install_db script.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com