Hi.

Thought I'd try sending this again as no takers for my earlier post!

Has anyone got any good ideas or examples about doing Version Control on
a MySQL table? I'd like all changes to fields to be recoverable back to
any date-time in the past, without changing the current state of the
database (therefore, not involving any actual restore of db backups).

My current idea is to maintain a change-log table, something like {
TABLE_NAME, FIELD_NAME, OLD_VALUE, TIMESTAMP, WHO_BY }, to be updated
each time a field is changed. This ought to allow a script to rollback
all changes to a table or a field, but it feels a bit simplistic and
kludgy - does anyone have any more cunning ideas?

OTOH, maybe the database's own logs contain enough info to extract the
'old' state of the table? Is this something anyone else has done?

All bright ideas gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Richard Davis
University of London Computer Centre