Hi.

On Mon 2002-07-08 at 22:54:09 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm trying to get the name of a booth or tradeshow depending on the
> customer_link_type (which is an ENUM) combined with the
> customer_link_table_id which tells me the index/id of the correct table
> to look in. I've tried this SQL command, but it doesn't work right. I
> get multiple permutations still.
>
> Is this even possible to do with mySQL? Or do I have to make two queries
> (one for 'booth' and one for 'tradeshow' and store them in a PHP array
> or something)

In MySQL 4.x you can use UNION to accomplish what you want, in earlier
versions you have to do two queries and do some application-side work
or if you want the ORDER BY done by the database, you have to use a
TEMPORARY TABLE.

I think the problem could be avoided if the database design would be
normalized further. Considering your select, it could be that a
intermediate table, containing reference to "type", "name" and "id"
(and maybe others) would help and the both and tradeshow tables would
only contain the information unique to them.

Greetings,

        Benjamin.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]