> We are discussing the 'mysql' client which is often used to write
> scripts that run under the
> UNIX shell.
> If you write a script that has two semi-colons in a row,  the second one
> is ignored and no error message is given.

Err, not true (in amysql script anyway)

I think you are trying to compare the ';' at the end of an SQL statement
with putting a blank line in a comman interpretter, because you are assuming
that the ; is intended to separate commans as it would in the shell.
i.e.

echo hello
echo world

is the same as

echo hello; echo world;o

and thus ;; works because the shell does not pproduce an error message for
a blank line when you hit return.

but this is not the function of the ; in mySQL- its part of the SQL syntax
and thus a ';' will always produce an error as its not valid to have a
';'on a line by itself.

You might disagree with the behaviour, but if so then the properplace
to complain is to the ANSI SQL people, not mySQL.

ORACLE also generates an error for ;; - it takes the 2nd semicolon as
the statement terminator and complains about the first one ebing not a valid
part of the query.

-pcf.