Hello,
I am running mysql in our production environment, which have a few reporting
tables with millions of rows. Certain queries cascade 2 such tables that
have millions of rows and there by, there are extremely slow, sometimes
taking over 10 minutes.
However, we are ok with that since the size of the data is extremely large.
However, the problem that we are facing is that when these queries are
running, other queries, *unrelated to the 2 large tables* are also put on
hold, so they can't be executed either and basically mysql becomes
unresponsive until I kill the SLOW query and then everything is back to
normal.
Anybody knows why this happens and if there is a solution for this (like
maybe, reprioritizing the slow query to a very low priority or something). I
would think that mysql would independently try to execute the other queries
but that does not seem to be happening.

Thanks,
Bhavin.