Hi.

On Fri 2002-07-26 at 09:46:39 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[...]
> Problem is that the sql version I am running does not support sub-queries.

MySQL does not support sub-queries in any version yet.

> Is there another way of getting around the following situation to wirte a
> query so that

Please, whenever you can provide an example, do so! You implied that
you know how to write it as a sub-select, so include that, please.

> select * from tab_name where
>       one item from each GRP 1, 2, and 3  - whichever is highest priced
>       (PRC) and has CHECK set to N.

This is a standard question and there is a standard answer:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/A/N/ANSI_diff_Sub-selects.html

And even a tutorial answer:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/e/x/example-Maximum-column-group-row.html

Greetings,