Pada Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:54:07 +0200
Ralf Narozny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> menulis :

> Hello
>
> CREATE TABLE mytable_bak SELECT * FROM mytable;
> ALTER TABLE mytable MODIFY mycol1 VARCHAR(20)...;
>
> Paul Maine wrote:
>
> >What SQL command can I use to change an existing column in a table with an
> >integer data type to a varchar data type. This is a production table with
> >about 3,000 records. I don't want to loose any of my current data in this
> >column.

I think there is no problem to just running the last :

ALTER TABLE mytable MODIFY mycol1 VARCHAR(20)...;

because from int -> char is no problem ... if there's, then the query just prompt an
error message ... and no data will be lost ... ;-)

but for extra backup, you can also do the first query :D

--
Let's call it an accidental feature.
        -- Larry Wall

MySQL 3.23.51 : up 39 days, Queries : 355.458 per second (avg).

--
Dicky Wahyu Purnomo - System Administrator
PT FIRSTWAP : Jl Kapt. Tendean No. 34 - Jakarta Selatan (12790)