At 15:56 30.07.02 +0100, you wrote:
> > Yes. Of course. But that's just another way to work around the problem,
> you
> > know? I mean, who wants to have to take a database down for an hour at
> > least once a week?
>
>You have to take it down ?I run optimize table on every tbale at
>midnight every day without any ill efects...

Well, yes. The table being optimized is locked during the whole process
(ie. for about an hour), which means any application accessing the table
would not get any responses until the optimize is done. To avoid a lot of
angry complaints from customers who're waiting for up to an hour for a
response which usually takes about 10ms, it's better to put up the 'down
for maintenance' sign.

Daniel

PS
sql, query. arrgh.