From: Eric Anderson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 11:22 AM
To: Adam Nelson
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: MySQL hardware concerns

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Adam Nelson wrote:

> Seems to me like a better architecture might be:
>
> N apache servers with mysql clients
> 1 Master Mysql Server
> 1 Slave Mysql Server/admin/backup server
>
> If you have 5 slave servers (one on each apache server), that would
> cause much more traffic on the internal network than each apache
> machine just being a client and running the queries on the master
> server.  We do the kind of traffic you're talking about with the above
> architecture and it works great (plus you're not administering N+1
> mysql servers with all their security/maintenance issues).
>
> Having the database totally removed from the internet is definitely
> safer.
>
> I highly recommend the DL360 G2 from compaq/HP with dual 1.4Ghz
> processors and 1 GB ram and raid 1 scsi drives.  This machine is more
> expensive than the generic equivalent, but it's 100% worth it.
>
> If you're looking to double or triple your traffic, you may need to
> think about a dl380 with quad processors (but that's probably overkill

Uhh.. either way, why wouldn't you just double-NIC it (one public NIC,
one private NIC) and run a private network to keep the database off the
Net?

And if you '--skip-networking' the mysql slaves aren't exposed to the
Net either (rightly so).

Personally, I think having the data pushed out to the slave servers is
the way to go, since if something happens to the master server (even a
reboot) the slaves will continue to serve pages because of the local
data.

-
 Eric Anderson         Wild Web Amateurs         CyberIron Bodybuilding
  ICQ 3849549   http://www.wildwebamateurs.com  http://www.cyberiron.com
 San Diego, CA    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
-
 "You've got the brain and talent to do anything you want, and when you
   do, I'll be right there to borrow money from you!" -- Bart Simpson