I decreased wait_timeout (from 28,800 to 300) to kill off sleeping threads.
  This morning, the server stopped accepting connections and gave me this
error:

ERROR 1129: Host 'hostname' is blocked because of many connection errors.
Unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'

flush-hosts worked and I increased the max_connect_errors from 10 to 1000
to kind of prevent this in the future. But what causes this error? If you
read the comments on  http://www.mysql.com/doc/B/l/Blocked_host.html it
seems that decreasing wait_timeout does cause this. Is there a bug in
mysql where it thinks that killing off sleeping threads is really a
connect error? I'm using 3.23.45, btw.

Thanks!