Not sure if this is the correct list to be sending to but I am having
some very frustrating problems with mysql-3.23.51 on redhat 7.2

My problem is the db starts just fine using bin/safe_mysqld --user=root
& although the crt seems to lock when I issue the command.  After I hit
ctl+c and get back to a prompt, the db is running in ps -aux listing.  I
checked it from the administrative site that I have setup on the server
and the tables are there along with all the data a default install
should have.

Problem is, when I attempt to start it via mysqld I get
020801 14:27:49  /usr/local/mysql-3.23.51-pc-linux-gnu-i686/bin/mysqld:
Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist

Does anyone know what this might be a symptm of?  I cant seem to find
much about this error specifically that is applicable to my setup.  Im
just trying to get the db so that it will start via mysqld........Thanks
in advance!

Best Regards,
Ben Turner

DMX direct, Inc