Hello Jerry,

JA> Victoria,
JA>         Thanks for your response.  Possibly you can clarify something for me.  You
JA> say that LOAD DATA LOCAL means that data file is read from client host.
JA> What exactly is the client host in this case?

Host from which you connect to the MySQL server. As I understand you connect from from
the same box where MySQL server is running.

JA> I'll also have to try to put
JA> the input file in the menagerie directory and see if I can refer to it
JA> simply as 'pet.txt'.  Please excuse my ignorance of this environment.  After
JA> 30 years of dealing only with MVS, this is a very strange  place.

Sorry, it's not clear enough for me. What do you mean "menagerie
directory"? I've already written that you can use 'pet.txt' in LOAD
DATA statement if file pet.txt is located in the current database dir
otherwise you must specify full path to the file.

PS: Please, don't send me answers, send answers in the mailing list.

JA> Thanks,
JA>         Jerry

mysql>> load data local infile "c:/mysql/data/pet.txt" into table pet;

JA>>                 If I don't fully qualify the input file name I get:
JA>>                 mysql> load data local infile "pet.txt" into table pet;
JA>> ERROR: File 'pet.txt' not found (Errcode: 2)

JA>> It doesn't appear that my.ini is being used by mysql.  Can anyone
JA> explain
JA>> why?

JA> Why path should be picked from my.ini file? ;)

JA> You used LOAD DATA LOCAL, that means that data file is read from
JA> client host. How does MySQL server know where is file located on the
JA> client host?

JA> Besides if you don't specify full path to your file MySQL is looking
JA> for a file in the current database directory
JA> (c:/mysql/data/database_dir), not in the MySQL data dir (c:/mysql/data).

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com