To reply to my own problem, my confusion stems from the change from
my_thread_init() in MySQL version 3.x to mysql_thread_init() in
version 4.x.  Fair enough, but my_thread_init is still supported
in version 4.x.  So, should developers who wish to write the most
portable code use my_thread_init(), or do a test (say on MYSQL_VERSION_ID)
to determine whether to use my_thread_init() or use mysql_thread_init()?

Thanks,

rob