Gloria

> > in a database on adjunct faculty.
> > Well, I set my table up withalphnumeric codes and most stats software
> > want those mutliple choices as numbers.

=which is why most people design to enter such data as number codes (1~5)
rather than alpha.

> > So I need to change the things already answered and placed into MyCC to
> > numeric data:

=unless you learn to work with alpha codes

> > Q1:  Your region?
> >
> > NE
> > NW
> > MW
> > SE
> > SW  ->   TO
> >
> > 1
> > 2
> > 3
> > 4
> > 5
> >
> > I have 31 such questions.
> > 21 replies so far.
> >
> > Do you know the MyCC commands to make the changes?

=doesn't MyCC use SQL?

> > Would it be easier to download the whole file and import it it from text
> > editor
> > with the chnages all made?
> > But there's a header on the export.  I don't want to import back and
> > erase everything...
> > I can send anyone the first export on which we can experiment.

=is the data currently held in MySQL or not?

> > Please help on this since it is for a worthwile purpose,

=assuming you want to change the data values held in a field, the UPDATE
command is where it's at:

UPDATE tblNm
  SET Q1 = 1
  WHERE Q1 = "NE";

=this will change all rows that have "NE" as the answer to Q1. If you want
to get really clever/save having five commands per question, then you should
look at sets and enumeration.

=However consider that the WHERE clause (above) is exactly the same as the
WHERE clause that you would use in any SELECT, and thus how you will be
analysing the survey results anyway - unless your reference to "stats
software" means that you are only collecting the data in MySQL and not using
MySQL for processing, and that raises the question: why not capture the data
into the stats software in the first place?

=dn