Mysql is using the full syntax for accessing a table, which is
database.table.
So for the database xx , accessing the table yy, it would be xx.yy.

>From the commands used below, the reason you're getting an error is probably
because you really don't have a table called 'test' in the 'test' database.

As you note, you have the database directory for both test and mySQL, but
I'd bet you don't have a table file called 'test' under the 'test'
directory.

Essentially you're trying to select from a non existent table, and mySQL is
showing you how it's interpreted the table you wanted from your SQL query,
in this case test.test.