----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin Pflugmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mike Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Michael Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2002 7:05 PM
Subject: Re: [OT] assigning new passwords (was: Need reversible encryption
as string)

> On Sun 2002-08-11 at 17:30:46 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > An easier (and more secure) way, surely, is to use one-way encryption...
and
> > if a user forgets his/her password, replace it with a random
alphanumeric
> > string and mail that to them instead with instructions to change it to
one
> > of their own choosing as soon as possible.
>
> Although I always liked this idea best security-wise, it can be abused
> quite easily. Whenever someone enters some account, the password for
> this account will be reset (and an email send). If the email works
> fine, this is only a major annoyance. If the email of the account does
> not work anymore, this is a DoS "service" for that account: The
> password the account owner knew has been changed and he has no
> possibility to retrieve the new one. How do you prevent this?

The way I worked around this problem was to send two emails. When a reset
password request is set in the database, I generate a confirmation hash and
store that in the database. I then email a message to the user saying
"someone has requested that your password be reset. if this was you click
here
[http://www.mywebsite.com/resetpass.php?user=2356&confirm=a8b767bb9cf0938dc7
f40603f33987e5].

When the user clicks on that link, it checks the confirm hash against the
one I stored in the database. If they match, it clears the hash, resets the
password and emails the user again informing him/her what the new password
is.

--Mike