> When I initially created the MySQL table, I forgot to specify that I
> wanted to allow NULL in certain fields. I populated the table,
> realized my mistake and then changed the field to allow NULLs. Here's
> where things got weird: When I ran a "select..where <field> is not
> NULL" against one of the fields, in which there had never been data
> entered, I got back no results.

If the column was set to not allow NULL, then there was data in those
cells (the empty string, or 0, or whatever the default was for the
column).  Do you expect that data to automatically be changed to NULL
when you alter the table?  If MySQL did lose data by converting it to
NULL like that, then I'd say *that* would be a bug.  The current
behavior is what I'd expect to have happen, and what I'd expect most
people to expect to have happen.  Maybe you just need to adjust your
expectations.

--
Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tobacco Documents Online